Monday, February 1, 2016

Sorelle take over Ragusa!

What a week, man. The Anziani have been gone since Thursday because of
transfers, they needed someone to go up to Rome to accompany the next
AP. So the sisters had the city all to ourselves. Woot woot, party!
Haha, just kidding.
Tuesday at DDM our training was about pressing forward with faith, and
we talked about the scripture in 2 Nephi 31:20
   "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ,
having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.
Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of
Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall
have eternal life."
We talked about what it means to press forward. Like obviously if
you're pressing forward, it doesn't mean you're just going on a nice
little walk, if you're pressing forward it implies that there's some
type of obstacle in your way. It made me think to back when I was a
swimmer. We had this one drill we would do, where we would tie a
bungee cord around us, and the other end to one side of the pool, and
then sprint to the other side. The closer you get to the end, the
harder it gets, and the more tension there is. The harder you have to
push forward. When things get harder, that's not the time to give up,
that's the time when we've almost made it to the end! Then after we
swam to the end of the pool, we would hop out and do it again! With
one team I swam with they did it differently. Once you finally made it
to the end, there was another teammate outside the pool who would pull
the bungee cord really fast while you swam back. And you just feel
like you're flying through the water! It was awesome.
There's always going to be different trials that we face, and times
where we have to push forward, but if we push forward with that faith
and hope in Christ, and that love for Him and all mankind, those
trials aren't as hard because we understand what we're working for and
why we want to keep pushing forward. Then just like the teammate
outside of the pool, once we've done all we can, and we've made it as
far as we were able to, He is there waiting to pull us the rest of the
way. His grace, His love, and His mercy is truly sufficient for
everyone.

This week we got to teach a woman from her window. I love when people
let us into their homes, but I'm not going to lie, it was pretty
awesome just handing stuff up to her window and standing out on the
street talking up to her. The balcony life. I know I'll miss ringing
people's intercoms and then all the older women coming out on their
balconies and talking to each other. "I can't hear you!" "They're
saying they want to talk about Jesus, a message about Jesus!" "What,
are they evangelists?" "No, no, they're missionaries!" "She's not
interested!" "I don't understand you where are you from?" "Oh,
Americans! Yea you can tell" "okay yea, but we're Catholic. Good
evening girls!"

Friday, we missed our bus to Vittoria! We ended up going Saturday
instead, people were pretty great about moving their agendas, but it
was still kind of disappointing, and then hard figuring out what to do
instead. It turns out it was one of the members birthdays who has
stopped coming because she doesn't feel loved at church. She also said
she doesn't want to see the missionaries anymore. But we were like,
all well! So we went and visited her on Friday and she was super
grateful for our visit and that we remembered her birthday! It was a
MIRACLE that she let us in, and sometimes it's just the small
victories that count. Turns out we weren't supposed to be in Vittoria
Friday so it was a good thing we missed the bus.

This week I was coming to the end of Mosiah in the Book of Mormon, and
I was legitimately sad to be finishing it! I love Mosiah! Such good
stories. I feel like I learned so much from Mosiah, from the people in
Mosiah and like I know Alma is great (the book that follows Mosiah in
the Book of Mormon) but like, it's Mosiah! As I thought that, I also
thought, I'm probably getting transferred next week, and turns out, I
am! So I will be leaving Ragusa Wednesday night, and my next city will
be Palermo! I'm so happy to be staying in Sicily! But I'll be moving
from the east side of the island to the west side. My next companion
is currently companions with Sorella Battezzato in Sardegna. So we
will be getting "blown in" they say. Which means both sister
missionaries are completely new to the area. So we'll both just be
learning as we go. My new companion will be Sorella Rossi, she's from
Genova in northern Italy. Apparently she doesn't speak much English,
but that's great! It will just help me with Italian! I'm totally scared
to leave Ragusa and go to Palermo, but I know it's going to be great.
Sorella Roberts started her mission in Palermo, so she was telling me
a lot about it, and getting me pumped up. I'm going to miss Ragusa so
much! But it's time to move on to the next city!

Sorella Holiday


 She is such a great member missionary!

Our great ward mission leaders family. He and his wife both served missions in northern Italy. They are just such a great family!


 Haha, bishop getting ready for the picture.

Bishops family. Their daughters hand in my hair perfectly captures the last 4 months. The other little girl is their niece but her mom wasn't there on Sunday.

 The girl on my left is leaving on a mission in March. She is going to England. The woman on my right is her mom and they are both super fantastic!

This sweet woman does too much for the sisters! She is an incredible example of faith and hope. She fed us lunch yesterday after church. :)

 Lots of wonderful people :)

Such a doll! She always comes up to us and hugs our legs on Sunday. She is so adorable.

This morning we planned to go down to "the jungle" but the path wasn't that clean and I have on a skirt that's really lacy so we decided not, we took a picture instead.

A convent

Not sure what the building is but that's where our walk took us this morning!

The wonderful cheese store!
We walk past this cheese store all the time and on account of it being my last pday here we had to go in. It was so magnificent! It smelt so good. :)

Ragusa is famous for its provola (provolone cheese)

So of course I bought some of this fantastic cheese from its proprio cittá!

Since Sorella Roberts and I are parting ways we had to get our comp item. So we got comp slippers! How perfect that our skirts happened to coordinate with our slippers today?
  
Passeggiata
We discovered a part of Ragusa I've never seen before!



No comments:

Post a Comment